Total no of Attempts

Optional for Prelims

INDIAN HISTORY

Optionals for Mains

HISTORY AND EDUCATION

Medium of Exam

ENGLISH

Other exams success/failure

Indian Institute of mass communication (With a national rank 49)

Service Preference APSC

1.ACS 2.APS 3.ALRS 4.ARCS 5.ST

1. Educational background

Class 10 %, Year, School

69.83 , 2007, AXAM JATIYA VIDYALAYA

Class 12%, Year, Institution

65.80 , 2009 , VIKAS VIDYANIKETAN

Degree %, Year, College

63.20 ,2013 , SIKKIM MANIPAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY

Post-Graduation

51 , 2017 , IGNOU-GAUHATI UNIVERSITY

Hobbies

ACTING , READING ASSAMES BOOKS

Job Experience

3 YEARS AS A TELECOM ENGINEER , 1 YEAR IN PRINT MEDIA

1. Many hearty congratulations on your success. Tell us something about yourself and your family and why did you choose Civil Services as a career?

Ans: Thanks a lot. Myself Kaustubh Roy. I born and brought up in Guwahati. I have my mother and my father in my family. My father is a retired INDIAN AIR FORCE official and my mother is a house wife.

I have choosen Civil Service as my career. This is because while I was working as a Network engineer in Reliance Industries, I have visited many remote places of our state. Where I got the chance to have a very close look towards our social and economic as well as cultural structure of our state and also various problems associated with it. Thus I felt that if I really want to do something remarkable to these people and to my state, Civil Service can provide me a very good platform . Thus in august 2016 , I left my job and started preparing for APSC-CCE-2016.

1. When did you start the preparation for APSC?

Ans: From august 2016, I have started preparing for APSC.

1. How much time do you think is required to prepare for this exam?

Ans: It depends person to person. But in my case on an average I studied for 6 hours daily and I think a time span of 1 year is enough to clear this examination.

1. How many hours on an average did you devote to studies?

Ans: I devoted about 6 hours per day.

1. Do you think coaching is necessary for APSC?

Ans: It is not mandatory to have coaching . It again depends person to person. But a good guidance from a good mentor is something which is highly needed.

PRELIMS

1. What was your strategy for prelims?

Ans: to attempt maximum no of questions correctly with high range of accuracy. One must score a good mark in their respective optional paper. Because GS paper is quite unpredictable and thus to secure a good marks in prelims, one must do good in their optionals.

1. How did you choose your optional for prelims?

Ans: I have choosen INDIAN HISTORY for my prelims . Because from my childhood Social Science was my favourite subject and History was a part of it. Thus I have a soft corner for Hisory.

1. Book List for Prelims GS

History

OLD NCERTS FROM CLASS 11 TO CLASS 12

Polity LAXMIKANTH
Geography TAHER AND AHMED, SOCIAL SCIENCE BOOKS (SEBA BOARD)
Economy SANJIV VARMA
Science
Assam Related ASSAM YEAR BOOK , ASSAM OBHIDHAN, SOCIAL SCIENCE BOOKS (SEBA BOARD)
Maths INTERNET, MGAZINES
Reasoning INTERNET, MGAZINES
Current Affairs INTERNET, NEWSPAPER
  1. Booklist for Prelims Optional

OLD NCERT BOOKS

SPECTRUM

SOCIAL SCIENCE BOOKS (SEBA BOARD)

PRATIYOGITA DARPAN

INTERNET

1. Is language a barrier in the preparation for APSC? (Since many books/materials are not available in Assamese), and how you prepared the various sections related to the ASSAM and NORTH EAST?

Ans:No. Absolutely not. Although many books are not available in the market which are written in assamese, but still one can crack this examination. Because most of the books that a APSC aspirant needs to refer are usually written in very simple English language. But sometimes if any aspirant feel some problem , habit of using a good dictionary can be a savior. In my case, since I was from a assamese medium school, I often use dictionary to find the meanings of various English words.

I believe if we do a proper research , there are many good books written for various sections related to the ASSAM and NORTH EAST. One should go through such books to acquire a good concept over our own state and region. Most of the books written by Santanu kaushik baruah sir, “Modhyojugor assam”, assam year book , social science books are some of the very good sources for this.

MAINS

1. What was your strategy for mains? And strategy in applying the order of preferences for various posts?

Ans: In mains, my strategy was to attempt the whole paper by maintaining a fixed standard of my answers. Writing mock test papers helped me a lot in this.

To became an ACS officer was always my first priority. Thus ACS was my first choice, APS was in second and accordingly the other services.

1. Did you make notes or prepare answers?

Ans: yes, I made notes.

1. Did you practice answer writing?

Ans: Yes I did.

1. What was your strategy for time management during mains exam? How to wisely choose optional for the mains? How you revised all the three sections (GS, Current Affairs, and Optional)?

Ans: Time management is a very important part in APSC. I have divided the whole time according to the distribution of marks per paper. One must practice enough to grab the speed in answer writing. Completion of paper is pretty much important in mains to secure a good rank.

Before choosing optionals for mains, first of all one should go through the whole syllabus. It will help them to have an idea about the subject. Accordingly based upon their own likes and dislikes, one can choose their optional.

GS : I have gone through my self made notes while doing my revision for GS.

Current affairs : I used sticy notes while preparing current affairs. Thus it also helped me for last time revision.

Optional : I have gone through my self made optional notes .

1. How many questions/marks did you attempt in GS and Optional?

Ans: I have attempted the whole paper in both gs as well as optionals.

1. How did you prepare for General English Paper?

Ans: I used to rewrite the editorial of ASSAM TRIBUNE in my words from starting itself. It helped me to build up a good foundation over the language. I have written a no of mock tests which eventually helped me write well in my english paper.

1. Booklist for Mains GS

History

Old ncerts, spectrum, university tdc books

Polity

Laxmikanth

Geography

Taher and ahmed, social science books from class 6 to 10

Economy

Ramesh singh

Science

Manohar pandey

Assam Related

Assam year book , books of Santanu Kaushik baruah sir

Current Affairs

Internet , newspaper

1. Booklist for Mains Optional 1

History

Indian history

Old ncert books (class 11 to 12)

Spectrum modern india

Tdc books – Gauhati university

Worls history

L Mukherjee books

Self made notes

Tdc books – Gauhati university , notes of Mr.Anshuman gogoi dada

1. Booklist for Mains Optional 2

Education

Sunita agarwal

Phunu das

Laxhira das

Self made notes from varous books and internet

KK Hendique university books

1. How did you prepare for the Interview?

Ans: I brushed up my optionals. Appeared for a no of mock interviews . Also conducted a no o mock interviews with my friends cum fellow aspirants .

1. What did you wear for the interview?

Ans: I wore a blue shirt, dark blue pant and black formal shoes for my interview.

1. What was the name of the board and what was the duration of the interview?

Ans: The board was Mukti gogoi board . The duration was about 30 minutes.

1. What were the questions asked during your interview?

Ans: 1.meaining of my name

2. BPO industry

3. IT industry scope in assam

4. 4G – Neetwork and its prospective in assam ( Since I was a telecom engineer )

5.Questions from basic physics

6. Fall of indian currency against doller

7. last capital of ahom, year. Reason for shfiting

8. father of lachit barphukan

9. Assam history questions etc.

1. How confident were you of your success or were you nervous or de-motivated/doubtful at times? How did you keep yourself motivated during the preparation process? (Your stress management techniques)

Ans: I was confident of clearing this exam. Sometimes I was a bit nervous . But some of my close friends like Bijit kalita, Afreen hussain (ACS-21), Abhilekh Saikia (Inspector of tax) , Chinmoy Neog(ALRS), Maria Tanim (ACS-1) ,Barnali Barman, Partha pratim das, Rahul pandey,My school mates from AXAM JATIYA VIDYALAYA ,Sayanika Dutta Sarkar maam, Anshuman Gogoi dada,Rumi rajbangshi,Tanaya Medhi,Kabita Phangchu , Chandamita Das and other friends along with my parents ….always motivated me. My small successs of ACS-Rank 45 is nothing but the outcome of their love and blessings.

1. Were you engaged in any other activity (job, studies) or giving full time to preparation?

Ans: I gave full time preparation.

1. What was your Career Back up plan?

Ans: I was having a 3 years work experience in telecom sector.

1. There are a lot of pressures/obligations/obstacles in an individual’s life which tend to affect their preparation. Did pressures like ‘completing Post Graduation’, ‘getting a job first then prepare’, ‘hectic job’, ‘getting married’ or any other come in your way?

Ans: When I came to this preparation phase , I left almost all such conditions. Thus I was not having such pressures on me.

1. What was the role of your family, friends, and spouse etc behind your success?

Ans: supportiveness of my family really helped me a lot in this journey. My parents are very supportive and always act like my backbone. I am also fortunate enough to have some of the best persons of this world as my friends. I dedicate my small success to them.

1. Dos and Don’ts for APSC.

Ans: Dos : Always keep yourself motivated and passionate

Don’t : don’t give up untill and unless your name will not appear in the final list.

1. Your observations on APSC exam.

Ans: APSC is quite achieveable and one need to be too much intelligent to crack this exam. Our constant hard work and determination is enough to get us our desired success.

1. Finally your golden tips for upcoming aspirants.

Ans: Be passionate enough to crack this exam. One should remember that this is also a very beautiful journey that an aspirant made. So always be positive and work hard. I wish all the very best to all upcoming aspirants.